Organics on Eleventh is a not for profit business selling
organic and bio-dynamic wholefoods and other ecologically
appropriate products. It is a project of the Fat Hen Inc.; a local,
community based association working towards an ecologically
sustainable and socially equitable future.
Last day at Organics on Eleventh
It seems to have snuck up, but Thursday April 8 really was the last day of trading at eleventh street.
The new shop is at:
121a Eighth St, Mildura VIC 3500
PH 03 5021 2230
Tuesday to Friday 9am-6pm
Saturday 9am-12 noon
Newsletter is out!
It's been so long since we've had a newsletter....there's so much going on now that it has resurfaced, with lots of news in an easy-to-read format.
Read up on exactly when Organics on Eleventh will close and when 'Clove' - organic shop and cafe will open and what will happen in between.
Meet our new president Linda Hickey and be up to date on activities around the shop.
A big thanks to Mel for putting it all together - enjoy the read - here it is
Fresh Tuesday deliveries and easter goodies
orgaics fair trade easter eggs - limited supply so be quick!
organic sourdough hot cross buns - so good toasted and lumped with butter.
Todays delivery brings in beans and broccoli, spinach and tomatoes, almonds (finally), a big range of fruit for the easter break - watermelon, pineapple, pears, bananas, johnny apples and strawbs.
The dairy's in too - meredith goats cheese in olive oil, fetta to die for, sheeps milk yoghurt and unhomoginised milk.
Easter trading hours:
Today, Wed, Thurs 12-6pm
Tues, Wed, Thurs 12-6pm
Friday closed - no more organics on eleventh
Clove - organic shop and cafe opens on Thursday 15th at 121a eighth st!
We are getting pretty excited.
Mildura Organic Roadshow
Organic Roadshow in Mildura - Wednesday, April 21
Who should attend? Roadshows are open to all interested in seeking the latest information
on biological production systems and organic/biodynamic food and farming. The event is
an excellent opportunity for those who want to make key contacts and network with
industry members and is an opportunity to view trade displays of companies supplying
organic ‘allowed inputs’ and other products/services. Consisting of brief and practical talks, regardless of your type of business, you will gain an insight into biological farming systems and the entire organic supply chain.BrochureRegistration Form
Cucumbers to the Rescue...Amazing, Who Knew!
1. Cucumbers contain most of the vitamins you need every day, just one cucumber contains Vitamin B1, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B3, Vitamin B5, Vitamin B6, Folic Acid, Vitamin C, Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium and Zinc.
2. Feeling tired in the afternoon, put down the caffeinated soda and pick up a cucumber.
Cucumbers are a good source of B Vitamins and Carbohydrates that can provide that quick pick-me-up that can last for hours.
3. Tired of your bathroom mirror fogging up after a shower? Try rubbing a cucumber slice along the mirror, it will eliminate the fog and provide a soothing, spa-like fragrance.
4. Are grubs and slugs ruining your planting beds? Place a few slices in a small pie tin and your garden will be free of pests all season long. The chemicals in the cucumber react with the aluminum to give off a scent undetectable to humans but drive garden pests crazy and make them flee the area.
5. Looking for a fast and easy way to remove cellulite before going out or to the pool? Try rubbing a slice or two of cucumbers along your problem area for a few minutes, the phytochemicals in the cucumber cause the collagen in your skin to tighten, firming up the outer layer and reducing the visibility of cellulite. Works great on wrinkles too!!!
6. Want to avoid a hangover or terrible headache? Eat a few cucumber slices before going to bed and wake up refreshed and headache free. Cucumbers contain enough sugar, B vitamins and electrolytes to replenish essential nutrients the body lost, keeping
everything in equilibrium, avoiding both a hangover and headache!!
7. Looking to fight off that > afternoon or evening snacking binge? Cucumbers have been used for centuries and often used by European trappers, traders and explorers for quick meals to thwart off starvation.
8. Have an important meeting or job interview and you realize that you don't have enough time to polish your shoes? Rub a freshly cut cucumber over the shoe, its chemicals will provide a quick and durable shine that not only looks great but also repels water.
9. Out of WD 40 and need to fix a squeaky hinge? Take a cucumber slice and rub it along the problematic hinge, and voila, the squeak is gone!
10. Stressed out and don't have time for massage, facial or visit to the spa? Cut up an entire cucumber and place it in a boiling pot of water, the chemicals and nutrients from the cucumber will react with the boiling water and be released in the steam,
creating a soothing, relaxing aroma that has been shown the reduce stress in new mothers and college students during final exams.
11. Just finish a business lunch and realize you don't have gum or mints? Take a slice of cucumber and press it to the roof of your mouth with your tongue for 30 seconds to eliminate bad breath, the phytochemcials will kill the bacteria in your mouth responsible for causing bad breath.
12. Looking for a 'green' way to clean your faucets, sinks or stainless steel? Take a slice of cucumber and rub it on the surface you want to clean, not only will it remove years of tarnish and bring back the shine, but is won't leave streaks and won't harm you fingers or fingernails while you clean.
13. Using a pen and made a mistake? Take the outside of the cucumber and slowly use it to erase the pen writing, also works great on crayons and markers that the kids have used to decorate the walls!!
Flouridated water supply begins here in May
From May residents of Mildura, Irymple, Merbein and Red Cliffs will benefit from a fluoridated drinking water supply, Victoria’s Chief Health Officer Dr John Carnie announced on Monday.
“Water fluoridation at one part per million helps protect teeth against decay and is the safest way of allowing everyone access to the benefits of fluoride,” Dr Carnie said.
He said that following the commissioning process of the new fluoridation plants in Mildura, Mildura West and Red Cliffs the amount of fluoride will graduaslly increase up to the optimal level as the system is brought into operation.
Dr Carnie said that fluoride benefits people of all ages by reducing dental decay.
“An important step in the introduction of water fluoridation to Mildura was to ensure the community had access to balanced, evidence-based information and the opportunity to ask questions.”
“Detailed information has been provided to Lower Murray Water’s customers about the benefits of water fluoridation.
“Residents have been able to seek further information from their dentist, GP, pharmacist and maternal and child health nurse,” he said.
Dr Carnie said that introduction of water fluoridation to Mildura’s drinking water is supported by local health services and community organisations including Northern Mallee Primary Care Partnership, Mallee Division of General Practice, Mildura Base Hospital, Mildura Private Hospital, Sunraysia Community Health Service and public Dental program, Tankard Dental, Dr Allan Coveney Mildura Orthodontics, Danenberg Dental Surgery, Lim Dental, Dr Jamie Harris and Associates, along with the Sunraysia Community Infection Control Committee.
src - Mildura Independent Star
message from president
Here is the latest news from Organics on Eleventh, or should I say the last news from Organics on Eleventh? By the end of the week votong will be completed and we will have a new name to go with the new shop.
The new shop is at 121a Eighth st (2 doors down from the Wintersun Butchery) and is coming along nicely. The walls are clean, the lino is about to be replaced and it is all systems go.
But we need PEOPLE power this weekend.
Can you please help us prepare for the painter by coming on Sunday between 10 and 1 (not Saturday) and bring your favourite paint brush (for cutting in); your favourite paint scraper; a bucket; rags; sheets for covering; ladder and masking tape?
If you can't come this Sunday, can you please pencil in your diary, the 8th, 9th,10th and 11 April to help with the big shift.
The new shop will be opening on Tuesday 13th April.
Thanks on advance for your help